Re: A. Einstein and science-fairs

what do you mean by this? I've seen projects that ask
something like "which
paper towel will absorb more" and then the kid makes a random
guess at one,
and calls it an hypothesis. I consider these non-science and
pass them by
with an irritation for the teacher who hasn't a clue what
"hypothesis" is
supposed to mean.

These "product testing" projects are ones that I rather like (with Rick's
caveat) and don't lend themselves to "hypothesis" format. I like them
because (at least the better ones) it requires the investigator to think up
a means (procedure) that answers the question and it involves some sort of
*relevant* data taking.

Joel Rauber