Re: A. Einstein and science-fairs

----- Original Message -----
From: Lois Breur Krause <krause@CLEMSON.EDU>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 1999 9:42 AM
Subject: Re: A. Einstein and science-fairs

There is another class of projects that have been gaining in popularity
in
recent years. These are the product testing projects.

what do you mean by this? I've seen projects that ask something like
"which
paper towel will absorb more" and then the kid makes a random guess at
one,
and calls it an hypothesis. I consider these non-science and pass them by
with an irritation for the teacher who hasn't a clue what "hypothesis" is
supposed to mean.

At the elementary school level (through 6th grade) and in some cases through
the middle school level (through 8th grade) these can be, IMO, very good
projects for the students. I don't care if they have no hypothesis..the
goal is to test the products for performance. What I do look for is if the
students have devised tests that really measure the properties to be tested,
how well they control variables, how many variables they recognize and test
and how they deal with the statistical significance of their results. Many
of the BEST projects I've viewed (below the senior level) over the past 5
years have been of this type. Again, not 'classic science' but certainly
'applied science' and worthwhile.

Rick