Re: Exit tests

Michael Edmiston wrote:

The problem with the GRE is that it compares your graduates primarily
to grad-school-bound students. What we really need is a
nationally-normed exam for all physics graduates whether they are
headed to grad school, industry, high-school teaching, whatever.
Educational Testing Service does have another set of exams called the
"Major Field Tests." That's what we're using now. It is working, but
there are a couple problems.

(1) The "norm group" is not a random sample because ETS can only use
exams from those institutions who choose to use the Major Field Tests.
Perhaps as more colleges and universities are required to do
assessment this test (or a similar one) will be used enough that the
norm group becomes a better cross-section.

The "norm group" will get larger as more schools come up for
re-accrediation
under the new standards.

(2) ETS gives very little information about the exam content, and we
professors are not supposed to look at it. Thus it is hard for us to
judge where are students are weak and strong, and it is not obvious how
to "improve" the scores of our students. At least with the GRE exam
you can obtain copies of expired exams, and there are booklets telling
students how to study for it, complete with practice exams. At this
point the Major Field Test, by comparison, is somewhat of a stab in the
dark.

The report sent to the department, includes five subject area scores
and the new form "Physics II" includes an "intro physics" and an
"advanced physics" sub-score.

We have given the test to our seniors the past two years. If there is
anything else out there, I would also like to hear about it.

/ Gary P. Agin, Dept. of Physics, Michigan Technological Univ. \
/ Houghton, MI USA gagin@mtu.edu \
/ Opinions expressed are my own and not nec. those of the University \