Re: Howard Voss' Testimony

But does Raytheon also offer sick days, health insurance, sabbaticals,
paid pensions, lots of paid holidays including 10 days off at Xmas and
another 10
days at Easter? ....and what happens when Raytheon loses a big contract
and may not get another one for several weeks or months?

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where the grass always seems greener elsewhere)

The benefits that you mention can contribute enormously to ones quality of
life. But, they can't offset the simple inability to support yourself
and/or your family on a teaching salary that is out of line with the cost
of living. We're not talking luxuries here, we're talking about making the
rent, putting a new clutch in the car, etc. I spent several years trying
(not very successfully) to support a family in the greater San Francisco
Bay area on a salary of just over $30K. That was a postdoctoral salary,
but I don't believe that it's much lower than the salary paid to beginning
teachers in this area. I loved the work, but the stress of living
paycheck-to-paycheck was telling on me. I'm actually quite fortunate to
have found a position that pays me a good wage, *and* gives me many of the
above benefits. Actually, I'd assume that a large company like Raytheon
would at least provide sick days, health insurance, and a pension (assuming
that they don't practice age discrimination and try to get rid of you
before thay have to pay you a pension).

Stephen D. Murray
Physicist, A Division
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
L-022, P.O. Box 808
Livermore, CA 94550
phone: (925) 423-9382 FAX: (925) 423-0925
email: sdmurray@llnl.gov