From: Daniel L. MacIsaac <Dan.MacIsaac@NAU.EDU>
To: <PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 1999 1:02 PM
Subject: Re: Howard Voss' Testimony

the same class rooms). Low pay relative to other 'professions' may also
contribute to the attrition, but I doubt it is a major factor.

Rick

Rick,

I teach MS and HS science teachers as part of my job. Recruiting is a
tremendous problem due to salaries. Some teachers here in AZ will start
at
$20k/yr, after 4-5 yrs of college. Many admire their own teachers and
would
like to emulate them, but can't afford to pay the loans and bills and eat
on the salary. A HS Chemistry teacher can start at 2X the $$ working for
industry here in AZ. Raytheon Missles sends buses up here to grab
all of our physics grads (they have the cruise missle contract) starting
at $40k, which is higher than I started here at NAU.

See: http://www.ade.state.az.us/prodev/certification/salaries.htm

Pay is a real problem, at least here in AZ. Summer work fighting forest
fires just doesn't make up the difference...

Dan M