Re: Electrostatic Injuries

Date sent: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 13:17:06 -0500
From: Jim Peters <jim.peters@AC.HILLSDALE.EDU>
Subject: [PHYS-L] Electrostatic Injuries

I received a phone call today from a local industry asking if it was possible for a person to receive an injury from electrostatics. It seems that, on a production line, workers peal labels off of a paper strip and play around with the electrostatics in the process. Just as one person reached
to touch a grounded control lever with one hand, another person touched the first person's other arm giving the first person an electrostatic shock which apparently traveled through the chest. I was then told that Jim Peters
Hillsdale College

Jim,
I would simply suggest that they ground each worker. This
would prevent those annoying "shocks."

with regards,
David