Re: Electrostatic Injuries

At 14:51 11/25/98 -0600, David Marx wrote:

Jim,
I would simply suggest that they ground each worker. This
would prevent those annoying "shocks."

with regards,
David

If I may interpose a very mild warning note: grounding is not an
unmixed good. One would not want a bracelet or mat to be the avenue for a
possibly lethal current which is arbitrarily taken to be 1 milliamp.
One does want charge to leak away in a reasonably short time interval.

10 megohms is not an unusual value for a series discharge resistor for
this service. Peoples' skin resistance varies widely, so the potential
needed to initiate a 1 milliamp discharge through the chest cavity varies,
as does the effective electrical energy.

Brian

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK