Re: Sparks (and ions)

William Beaty says:

On Sun, 6 Sep 1998, Ed Schweber wrote:

Fair enough. But wouldn't the ultimate flow of charge through our bodies be
electrons migrating from atom to atom. Admittedly this is not a single
electron making the entire run from foot to finger, but is anything lost by
thinking of it as a single electron.

Hi again Ed! Nope, yours is a description of a wire. In electrolytic
conductors, charged atoms migrate and electrons do not.

While this seems reasonable for your typical jar of salt water (or
whatever) under going relatively slow electrolysis, I have a hard time
believing that a charged ion in my foot migrates all the way to my finger
in the time it takes for the spark to jump to the doorknob. Not that I
have an alternative answer, but it seems like something is missing here....

--
--James McLean
jmclean@chem.ucsd.edu