Re: Sparks (and ions)

I have a hard time
believing that a charged ion in my foot migrates all the way to my finger
in the time it takes for the spark to jump to the doorknob. Not that I
have an alternative answer, but it seems like something is missing here....

--
--James McLean
jmclean@chem.ucsd.edu

Nor should you beleive that 'an' electron travels from the light
switch to the bulb, in order to make it glow.

It is the 'wave' in the electric field that causes both effects. In metals
it is often electrons that wiggle in responce to the electric field (and
sometimes 'holes', depending on the metal or semiconductor).

In nerve cells, I seem to remember that Calcium and Potassium ions are
important. Cell membranes have 'channels' for these ions that can be
manipulated by naturally occuring stimuli.

britton@odie.ncssm.edu you have forgotten everything
(919) 286-3366 x224 Albert Einstein, 1936