Re: Sparks (and ions)

You might want to take a look at the book by Chabray and Sherwood,
Electric and Magnetic Interactions. It's on page 73.

Yes, and something which Chabay and Sherwood point out, which no one
has mentioned here, is that one is often wearing rubber-soled shoes
-- up to an inch thick. So here's a great question for students
- the rubber is rubbing against the wool (or whatever) of the rug and becomes,
at least at its surface, negative. How then, if your shoes are very good insulators,
can there be any charge transfer to the rest of your body?
C & S assert that there is virtually none.
I can personally attest to the fact that I can "feel" sparks jumping
between the bottom of my feet and the inner sole of my shoes when I touch
the dome of my VDG generator while standing on the floor.
I expect the dome gets up to about 200KV, quite a bit higher than
that which shuffling across the floor can achieve..

Gary Hemminger
Dwight-Engelwood School
315 E. Palisade Ave.
Englewood, New Jersey