Re: Conservation Laws

At 09:32 7/4/98 -0400, you wrote:
Isaac Newton proposed a model of mechanics as a "game" in which objects
affect each others' motion. He proposed that these interactions be
described in terms of "forces". This Newtonian force concept is
quantitatively defined by what we now call Newton's three laws of motion
(N1, N2, N3).

Bob Sciamanda

We are warned by the Persian rug-weavers that perfection is to be
reserved for Allah. Still it is proper to mention that this composition
had the silky sound of a well-oiled Italian racing machine, the refreshing
aroma of an English garden and the functional efficiency of a hungry
Wall Street shark in feeding frenzy.

But I will share with you a dirty little secret: though if pressed I
could read the Principia in its first edition language and can reach
an English translation within seconds, I still cannot with all confidence
recall which law Newton is credited with in primary, secondary and
tertiary ordination.

I know, I know, it is a sad reflection on my schooling - all the same,
when a work such as Bob's gives every evidence of the efforts of a
didactic master, one demands that every personal impediment to
insight is smoothly cast away along with every shorthand convenience.

Sincerely

Brian Whatcott Altus OK