Re: charged insulators

-----Original Message-----
From: Darwin Z. Palima <dpalima@nip.upd.edu.ph>
To: Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu>
Date: Friday, July 03, 1998 7:13 AM
Subject: charged insulators
. . . "If an insulator allows so little flow of charges, how can an
insulator
end up as uniformly charged (as we use in examples in electrostatics)?
Does it mean that we can achieve uniformly-distributed charges in an
insulator only after a very long time?"
Pls. enlighten me.
Darwin Z. Palima
. . .

I would point to the "spraying" of charges onto insulators as is done in
van de Graff machines, Xerox copy machines, and laser/LED printers.
Also, in a vidicon tv camera tube, a scanning electron beam "paints" a
uniform charge onto a photoconductive screen (an insulator except where
illuminated).

Hope this is useful. - Bob

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (ret)