From: Bob Sciamanda <trebor@velocity.net>
To: phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu <phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu>
Date: Wednesday, May 13, 1998 11:54 PM
Subject: Re: refrigerator

An apropos tease question:

What is "a ton of air conditioning (or refrigeration)" and why is it so
called?

Last summer while shopping for central air conditioning, I found that
although room air conditioners are specified in BTU/hr, central air
conditioning units are specified in "tons of air conditioning". It took
a laborious net search and sending AC engineers back to their literature
to translate this specification. Who in Phys-L has the answer?

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (ret)
trebor@velocity.net
http://www.velocity.net/~trebor