Re: refrigerator

On Thu, 14 May 1998 graham-engineering@juno.com wrote:

Bob Sciamanda wrote:

I believe that a ton of air conditioning is the amount of air
conditioning equivalent to melting a ton of ice per day.

Dave, I think you are wrong. I do believe that Bob has it right.
One Ton Air Conditioning is approx. 1200 btus. I hope this helps you
answer your question.

First of all I assume you mean BTU/hr not BTU. But by Bob's definition I
calculate that 1 ton AC is approximately 12,000 BTU/hr or 3500 W. That
may be reasonable. I know that houses use as large as 5 ton AC units
(17500 W) which would require a little over 70 A at 240 V with a
coefficient of performance of 1. With a little more help from little help
from the coefficient the current might be reduced to a more reasonable
level.

John
A. John Mallinckrodt http://www.intranet.csupomona.edu/~ajm
Professor of Physics mailto:ajmallinckro@csupomona.edu
Physics Department voice:909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax:909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768-4031 office:Building 8, Room 223