=20

I apologize to David for this misunderstanding.=A0 I read the following:

the Earth does have a mostly fluid (oceanic) surface which can relatively
rapidly respond to the forces acting on it.=A0 This response, not being
instantaneous in practice, allows the actual induced tidal bulge of the
Earth to be somewhat rotated out in front of the Moon by the Earth's
spin.=A0=20

Which was in response to David Dockstader's question --

#14. If the Moon had oceans like the Earth's, what would the tidal effect=
be
like there?=A0=A0 ....=A0=A0 How would
the variations in height compare to those on the Earth?=A0 ....

And I thought they were talking about the Earth's oceans and fictitious Moon
oceans.=20

Silly me.

Jim is looking at trees and claims there is no forest.

I like trees. There are precious few of them here in my little valley.

Perhaps in the future we all could specify just which tides we are talking
about. I think that most of us assume water tides -- the common usage --=
but
just maybe they are dirt tides under discussion.

Again, I am sorry for the confusion.

=20
Jim Green
JMGreen@sisna.com