Re: Oloid, super-egg

I believe that I have played with a "super-egg." The year was about
1973. The place was the office of a fellow graduate student at the U.
of Iowa. The reason we were playing with the egg was to take a study
break while working homework from Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics
text. I did not own the egg but I believe it was solid brass with a
length of about 2 cm on the longest axis. The game we played was to
stand it on end (long axis vertical) and then to flick the top end with
one finger such that the egg would roll two or three or four times and
come to rest on end again. As Dr. Gurnett can attest, I should have
taken shorter study breaks.

Greg Clements
Midland Lutheran College

William Beaty wrote:

Anyone ever hear of a geometrical object called "superegg"? It was
supposed to behave like a rolling ball (stable in any position), yet
be
oblong like an egg.