Re: Required common programming language

I'm not sure I agree here. I had a student last year in a problem solving
course using Quick Basic. This student had (I'm convinced) been brain damaged
by excessive exposure to the GOTO. He wrote one of the most convoluted
complex
pieces of code I ever saw to do a rather simple and straight forward
programming assignments. Not only wasn't it reusable or extensible, it was
unreadable!

Well Frank, I notice that you didn't say that it didn't work. From the
student's point of view that might be less important than pleasing the
teacher, but from the learner's point of view, if the code compiled and
ran, he might well have achieved his goal anyway.

Leigh

Not to beat this to death (here writer fully intends to do so), the point was
that the assignment was simple. By making the problem much more difficult, the
student is then unable to handle a much more complicated problem.

Structured programming encourages good factoring of the problem into concise
pieces which are readable, understandable AND testable. Sometime proper
factoring is the only approach to handling a complex problem. Spaghetti logic
makes this very difficult.

Ciao,

/\~~~/\
> > Frank M. Lanzafame Department of Chemistry
^ ^ > Monroe Community College 1000 East Henrietta Rd.
(_O_) > Rochester, NY 14623 716-292-2396