Re: VandeGraaf horror stories?

William Beaty wrote:

Does anyone here have any tales to tell about safety hazards involving
tabletop VandeGraaff generators? Parents are leery about the 300,000
volts produced by some of these, so I wrote up a page on VDG safety.

Leyden jars and medical implants are the biggies. Are there other hazards
I should mention? (see below)

I have 3+ decades of using a VDG with no 'serious' effects. Five years
ago(that long??) it became necessary for me to have a pacemaker
implanted. For several years after the procedure I continued to get
myself zapped along with the students, however, I have stopped after
realizing it's far too risky(and probably stupid) to endanger my little
$20k friend(let along my health). I have found (on at least 3
occasions) that some people are quite sensitive to the sparks. Their
skin will swell up(welts) at the zap site. I remember one student
coming back to see me a couple of hours after class to show me his arms
that looked like he had been stung by a swarm of bees. Many more
studends will notice little red spots appear at the zap site(could these
be punctures???)
<<Larry>>