Usefulness of computers if it exists - particularly in the classroom

Hi Folks,

While pursuing some old files a moment ago I noticed a thread concerning
the debate surrounding the use of computers as an educational tool. My
essay "Some Unintended Consequences of Computers" was published in the
Humanists of Houston Yearbook, which you will not be able to acquire
inasmuch as only 40 or 50 copies were printed. Thus, I don't have to
remember the year even. [As you see I have really made the big time.
Next comes Larry KIng I suppose.] If anyone wants it, I will mail it.
It is very short; but, like all my work, shockingly, shocking. :-) At
this time, however, I would like to alert interested parties to the
existence of a remarkable essay by Clifford Truesdell, a distinguished
hero of science in my humble opinion. The reference follows:

Truesdell, C., "The Computer: Ruin of Science and Threat to Mankind," in
*An Idiot's Fugitive Essays on Science*, Springer-Verlag, New York
(1984).

If you don't already know Professor Truesdell you are in for a treat.
His interests, ideas, and influence can be found throughout the world in
which we poor players strut and fret. Again, if anyone is interested in
what I think, I will make my views known. Otherwise I shall publish an
essay on computers in Vol. II of my collected papers sometime in 1998, I
presume. For personal reasons, I would like to publish as close as
possible to the time of my death, which is encoded in my number which
constitutes an unbreakable code until it is "up". Probably, I have
published too much, but that is not entirely my fault as many of us know.
[Don't worry Dave; we shall publish on this side of the grave.
(Actually, I wish to be eaten by lions or tigers, but zoos are not
particularly helpful in gratifying such wishes regardless of the
reasonableness of the idea.]

Happy new year / The Dilettante