Re: Inertia DEMO

If anyone has a great inertia demo they wish to share, I would like
to hear about it. I have one that astounds students. I get flat poker
chips, and stack them in alternating colors (using school colors, of
course). With a steel rule that has a thickness that is less than a
chip, I rapidly wave it back and forth, each time knocking out the
bottom chip. It sorts them and astonishes the students. But, like the
tablecloth, is this not really a demo of the Property of Inertia?

Cut some small paper loops. (Say 14 ml wide, 50ml radius) Hang
a ruler from two of them (from the finders of two students waering
safety glasses. Destry the ruler with another ruler sword style
(with a sudden loud Ye ha!!!!!!!) The ruler will break leaving the
loops intact. (Repeat s-l-o-w-l-y and break the loops)

Derek

Derek Chirnside, Physics Department, Shirley Boys High School.
PO Box 27 025, Christchurch 8001, New Zealand.
chirnsided@mars.shirley.school.nz