Re: Are student evaluations useful?

On Tue, 18 Nov 1997, Rauber, Joel Phys wrote:

PS
As to Margaret's comparison to Australia with the US, it would be my guess
that in the US there is more continuous monitoring of student's progress.
So at my institution the evaluations are given the week before final exams
and my students know very well what sort of grade they are likely to receive
for the course, I drop the lowest exam score for my students which might be
half the final exam if that was their lowest score; this means my final is
either 30% or 15% of the course grade.

I think that Joel is right. Our final exam is likely to be at least 50%
of the total grade, and often much more. I'm impressed by the amount of
continuous monitoring US students get, but I don't envy you your marking
loads at all!
Cheers
Margaret