Re: That jerk again!

At 06:43 PM 11/19/97 -0600, Brian Whatcott wrote:
At 11:54 11/19/97 -0500, John Gastineau wrote:

In rolling the car up a hill, it matters not when you jam on the brakes
(at
the top or before); you are introducing a sudden change in acceleration, a
jerk, and we feel that pressure change. It is simply surprising to have it
happen at zero velocity. The value of the velocity at a given instant has
nothing to do with its first or second derivative.

A person who bases his conclusions on experimental tests is not to
be trifled with; but I fancy he overreached his data - or wrote a little
hastily when he claims that the value of the velocity [ when the brakes are
applied] has nothing to do with the consequential acceleration, or ITS
rate...

John will easily agree that he could reverse the sign of the acceleration
caused by braking by choosing his moment on the velocity slope of constant
deceleration...

Ok, Ok, I was sloppy. What I was trying to say was that the value of a
parameter, say, velocity, at one moment in time, is independent of the value
of its rate of change. This is true in general, and can be seen in the
necessity of specifying both an object's location and velocity to completely
specify its condition. I emphasize that this is at one moment in time.

It is true, as Brian points out, that

John E. Gastineau gastineau@mindspring.com KC8IEW
900 B Ridgeway Ave. http://gastineau.home.mindspring.com
Morgantown WV 26505 (304) 296-1966