Re: That jerk again!

On Wed, 19 Nov 1997 09:48:04 -0600 Clarence Bennett said:
Suppose you are standing with your shoes glued to the floor of
an elevator. It is rising in free fall with a perfectly smooth
ratchet to hold it at the top of its free fall.

Will you not rerceive a sudden change in your apparent weight?

I believe this question is quite equivalent to the car stop.

I thought this was a great analogy when it was posted and am surprised that
this suggestion was not accepted by everyone. At the moment Lee applies his
brakes he and his car are essentially weightless. However, a moment later
they are not and Lee clearly notices the difference. As mentioned the
suspension of the car will fex to support the new weight. Lee will also sink
into the seat and this movement of Lee relative to the car may be more noticabl
e than the movement of the car body relative to the wheels.