Re: Is competence in physics as a requirement for teachers of physics?

Hi all-
Donald Simanek writes:
This touches upon an issue we've seen little mention of here in the
discussion of what makes a good teacher. That is the ability to earn
student's respect for the teacher's understanding and intellect. The
student who must frequently say "I don't know" and furthermore
demonstrates that he or she "can't find out" soon loses that respect. Of
course somehow teachers must communicate to students that some questions
are beyond the present level of the course, and that more math and more
physics background is necessary to properly grasp some things. But
students can sense when this is used as a cop-out to cover the teachers'
ignorance. Even in that situation, a well-educated teacher should be
able to say *something* correct and meaningful and useful in response to
the question.
I would think that the preliminary question is: who are the "good
teachers"? Maybe that question has to be answered in the context of "who
are the students ?"
Regards,
Jack
(If the rest of the communication intended to say that the
education establishment is a disaster, I agree).