pdf files

Wiley publishing has supplied us with solutions to the Halliday,
Resnick and Walker problems in the form of pdf files. We would like to
post selected solutions on the Web (local access only) for our
students, but have run into two problems: The font they chose is
virtually unreadable on screen (Mac or Unix); It seems that pdf files
cannot be edited, only viewed or printed page-wise.

Does anyone know of a way to convert pdf to something editable and
then back to pdf for display? Any alternative approaches? (I tried
scanning, but the resulting gif files print slowly and badly, at
best.)

Thanks
Stan