Re: pdf files

Isn't that annoying? You should check out Springer's .pdf version of
their catalog. You'd think they didn't want to sell anything.

The way I have done this in the past is to use Acrobat Reader to copy
the text and then paste it into something like Word. Then you can
change fonts or whatever to make it readable. However, if you want to
version of Acrobat from Adobe. This is also true if you want to
simply edit .pdf files. The portable document format is proprietary
to Adobe and I don't think anyone else is currently licensed to use
it.

What you might try is a conversion to Word followed by a conversion
to HTML. This is likely to require some massaging of the files
though. But at least you'd be able to see what they are on about.

Wiley publishing has supplied us with solutions to the Halliday,
Resnick and Walker problems in the form of pdf files. We would like to
post selected solutions on the Web (local access only) for our
students, but have run into two problems: The font they chose is
virtually unreadable on screen (Mac or Unix); It seems that pdf files
cannot be edited, only viewed or printed page-wise.

Does anyone know of a way to convert pdf to something editable and
then back to pdf for display? Any alternative approaches? (I tried
scanning, but the resulting gif files print slowly and badly, at
best.)

Thanks
Stan

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29528 variety in unity.
pjcamp@coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
pjcamp@postoffice.worldnet.att.net The Name of the Rose
(803)349-2227