PIRA Lab Managers Workshop at Denver AAPT Meeting

Dear Laboratory Physics Instruction Colleague,

I am putting on a workshop on Tuesday, August 12 at the Denver AAPT meeting
entitled "Lab Managers Workshop: Introductory Physics Labs Using Computers"
(W42, see page 66 of the July, 1997 Announcer). As my collaborator, Jaena
Streets, has defected to industry, I am enlisting help with presentations.

The workshop is intended for those charged with developing and carrying out
introductory physics teaching labs that use computers, lab interfaces, and
various sensors and software packages to acquire, display and/or analyze
"physics data." The goals of the workshop are to: 1) develop a summary of
what set-ups people are using and why (via a Web-based survey), 2)
elucidate the process individuals went through in choosing and adopting
their particular set-up(s) and, 3) share and compare individual lab
experiments that effectively teach physics and use computers. The first
two goals will be pursued in the morning, leaving the afternoon for sharing
and comparing lab experiments. I also plan on scheduling some "open
discussion" time for other topics such as number of students in a group,
managing storage of equipment, training TAs or other helpers, publishing
manuals, safety in the lab, and security--especially for computer equipment.

I called the AAPT today and, as of 20-June, 14 people have signed up for
this workshop. I suspect that 20-25 might ultimately attend. I can use
your help in providing useful information aimed at those charged with
initially adopting computer-based curricula or those seeking to improve
their labs.

What can you do to help?

1) AM: Prepare a short presentation (20-30 minutes) that:
a) Describes your educational setting (e.g., mid-sized liberal arts
university,
"service" introductory physics labs for non-majors).
b) Summarizes the set-up(s) you use for these labs (e.g., mixed Pasco and
Vernier probes and gear, Vernier Universal Lab Interfaces (ULIs),
Macintoshes and Vernier Logger-derivative software.
RealTime Physics curriculum.)
c) Outlines how you chose that set-up or those set-ups. For example,
what factors influenced your choice of lab interfaces/software
packages?
Cost, advice from colleague, results of physics education research
using these equipment, etc.?
d) Indicates what you perceive as the strengths and weaknesses of
your set-up(s).
e) Summarizes any research you have undertaken involving your set-up.

2) PM: Bring materials and a summary of lab experiments or suites of
activities
that you have developed and would like to share.

I do NOT intend for this workshop to stand in judgement of different lab
curriculum packages or lab equipment. Neither will there be tables with
all sorts of computers and lab equipment to demonstrate particular lab
configurations. Instead, I hope that we can share our hard-won experience
with those seeking to initiate or improve computer-based teaching labs.

If you already have commitments for part of that Tuesday, please feel
welcome to attend the half-day appropriate to your particular interests.

Finally, I Invite you to participate in a fairly comprehensive survey of
intro physics teaching lab set-ups that I will be putting up on the Web
shortly.

Please DO contact me (dlivelyb@bovine.uoregon.edu) if you are interested in
helping out with this workshop.

P.S. If you know of someone else who should receive this message, please
forward it and let me know of them. Thanks...

Dean Livelybrooks "God is subtle, but he is not
Department of Physics malicious." Albert Einstein
1274 University of Oregon (541)-346-5855
Eugene, OR 97403-1274 USA (541)-346-5861-FAX