Dobson

At 15:13 5/29/97 -0500, Tom McC wrote:
....one more request on the construction of a teflon type bearing.
Does anyone know the basic elements and construction of a bearing that
would have work off a horizontal post that is firmly attached a wall.
The bearing would allow a horizonal piece of wood to pivot around the
post (post would or could go through the wood) and and remain in postion
when released. The position of the bearing would be fairly well balanced.

A similar type of bearing is used in Dobsonian telescopes to
position the telescope along the altitude angle.

Thanks again for your help.

----------
Tom K. McCarthy Email:mcca6300@spacelink.msfc.nasa.gov

I should first apologize for my first effort at responding to your request.
That was not in the spirit of the monk - John Dobson - who is now 81 and is
the inspiration for several bands of 'Sidewalk Astronomers' who DO know
how to make something of value at low cost.

Accordingly, I first suggest you forward the amount of $2 and a return
address to this address:

Sidewalk Astronomers
PO Box 4332
Burbank Ca 91503

They will send you the plans for a Dobsonian telescope and mount.

If you have access to a web browser, you may enjoy looking at their
web page, for which the URL is
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/6389/

There is a touching paragraph on John Dobson in a page created by
the Randall Museum at
http://www.wco.com/%7Edale/johndobs.html

along with many other hits which can be found with the search engine
called Web Crawler at
http:///www.webcrawler.com
using these keywords:
dobsonian mount telescope.