Re: Toilet bowl physics ???

(Second try at sending this...)

At 08:59 AM 5/14/97 EDT, LUDWIK KOWALSKI wrote:

I use an electric shaver (Philips) and empty it at once by throwing the
pieces of hair into a standard white porcelaine toilet bowl (from an
elevation of about one meter).... their initial
floating distribution is nearly uniform. But then they start clustering
into "galaxies of short hairs". The overall picture after about ten or
twnty minutes is quite different from what it was at the beginning. The
clustering seems to be faster near the rim where the bowl is shallower.
The grouping of hairs (about 0.5 to 1 mm long) is not total but some
tendency seems to be present. Or am I am expecting too much from
randomness?
Ludwik Kowalski

The classical explanation invokes a 'force' which attracts the stubble
according to its mass.
The more modern interpretation is that isolated masses of this kind distort
space, in rather the way an elastic membrane would be distorted - so as to
provide a natural clustering effect without any force mechanism.

Regards
brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK