Re: How many volts ?

Ludwig wrote:

. . . Perhaps there is
a law which prevents lines from "bending and unbending" but I do not recall
it. In the same spirit I wander if Maxwell's laws can be used to demonstrate,
somehow, that each static line must be confined to a single plane. Call such
rules "Faraday's no-bending and no-twisting principle", if you wish. This
is not a call for a demonstration; only for an honest statement that it
exists, or can be performed.

Ludwik Kowalski

Ludwig,
There is a restriction as to just how a field line can "bend and twist".
Mathematicaly it requires that the "Curl of E" be zero, which physically
means that it is a conservative field, and also leads to the existence of
equipotential surfaces which have been mentioned. As suggested, try to
construct these surfaces, everywhere perpendicular to E, and see what
happens.

Certainly bending would take place in a field line after leaving the conducting
surface if that surface were irregular in shape (eg. with hills and valleys).
Another case: this would happen if one plate were larger than the other
(in the "overhang" region).
But your symmetrical, plane geometry just doesn't need such complications!

I certainly don't think this is a "nuisance". I do not appreciate, and am
curious about, your arguments from "induction" and "minimum energy". I do
understand what these ideas entail, but I guess I'm just not familiar with
using them to quantitatively solve such boundary value problems. Perhaps
you could elaborate a bit, when time allows.

Bob Sciamanda sciamanda@edinboro.edu
Dept of Physics
Edinboro Univ of PA http://www.edinboro.edu/~sciamanda/home.html