Re: superposition (fwd)

On Wed, 15 Jan 1997, Donald E. Simanek wrote:

On Wed, 15 Jan 1997, John Mallinckrodt wrote:

Well... I'm afraid this simply won't work. With the conductive paper we
effectively set up boundary value problems--e.g., V is fixed on some
painted spots, grad V is perpendicular to the edges of all painted spots,
and grad V is parallel to the edges of the paper and to the edges of any
regions in which we scrape off the conductive coating. The paper solves
the PDE's for us. But superposing the fields that result from two
different sets of boundary conditions is not at all the same thing as
solving for the fields that result when we somehow "combine" boundary
conditions. (Frankly, I don't even understand how you would propose to do
the latter.)

Actually, if you do experiments and take data not too near the edges, it
works quite well (having done it). The departure from the non-bounded case
shows up only within about 2 cm of the edge of the paper. If that were not
so, they couldn't get anyone to buy these materials for the usual
field-mapping experiment. :-)

Donald,

I still don't understand what it even *means* to attempt a superposition
experiment when you are not controlling the placement of specific charges,
but rather the potentials of different regions. For example, consider

1) a dipole formed from two charges Q and -Q

and

2) another dipole formed from two more charges of the same magnitude Q
and -Q placed at different locations.

How would you go about demonstrating the superposition of these fields
with the conductive paper? You're not going to try to tell me that you
will make the superposed case from four dots connected in pairs to
opposite terminals of the power supply, are you? If so consider these:

Case 1 Case 2 Superposition

+ + + +
.<- test point . .

- - - -

I think you'll get pretty close to the same E in each case here.

Maybe you can give me a specific example which should work at least
approximately and which is not so dependent on wise choices as to call
into question the generality of the principle that you are trying to
demonstrate.

Best,

John
A. John Mallinckrodt email: mallinckrodt@csupomona.edu
Professor of Physics voice: 909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax: 909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768 office: Building 8, Room 223
web: http://www.sci.csupomona.edu/~mallinckrodt/