Re: stuff

I also have often heard the above hyperbole about students as consumers. I
think it breaks down (although I like it, it reflects my prejudices) because
the students aren't buying what we think we are selling. They aren't buying
knowledge, they are buying credentials. And if we insist that we are
selling knowledge, the effort to gain it increases the cost of the
credentials to the student (not monetary cost, but effort cost). So the
demanding of less and less, is really demanding a lower cost. Something
consumers always do.

As usual, I agree with Joel. There is another aspect which bothers me here.
I misinterpreted what Joel said the first time I read it; I thought he
meant students were paying for *my* credentials, and I think that, to some
extent, they are doing so. They suffer from the delusion that if one
obtains such credentials then one will thereby be endowed with knowledge.
That is a common cognitive error. It is for that reason, among but above
others, that I discourage my students from calling me "doctor". If they
believe I know something because I once jumped through prescribed academic
hoops it will only reinforce that cognitive error.

Students should be aspiring to and striving for knowledge and understanding,
not credits and degrees!

Leigh