stuff

Dear Colleagues,

I no longer can resist jumping in. (groans are heard in the audience).

It was written

Students as "consumers"? Jane Smiley, where are you? Hasn't anyone else on
this list read "Moo?" I think it was one of my chemistry colleagues on
CHEMED-L that said, if education is a business and students are its
consumers, then it's the only enterprise in which the consumer demands
less and less for their money year after year.

I read Smiley's book, and found it to be quite depressing. Its all too true
and should be label not as fiction buy as historical tragi-comedy.

I also have often heard the above hyperbole about students as consumers. I
think it breaks down (although I like it, it reflects my prejudices) because
the students aren't buying what we think we are selling. They aren't buying
knowledge, they are buying credentials. And if we insist that we are
selling knowledge, the effort to gain it increases the cost of the
credentials to the student (not monetary cost, but effort cost). So the
demanding of less and less, is really demanding a lower cost. Something
consumers always do.

Joel
rauberj@mg.sdstate.edu