A cultural illusion

All this talk about ellipses has made me remember another
"phenomenon" which has a physical explanation. In cartoons
speeding automobiles are frequently portrayed as having
oval, forward-leaning wheels, and hard-braking autos as
having oval wheels leaning backwards. Has it occurred to
anyone else in the group why this should be? Hint: it has
nothing to do with relativity. I think I know the answer,
and it is a useful piece of technical information to use
in courses where geometrical optics is taught. It will
make your students think, just as I'm asking you to do now.

I'll present my solution if there is sufficient interest.

Leigh