Re: What Flows?

Spoken like a true constructionist. BUT note that the cartoons these
students are familiar with condones the idea of impetus. Do you want to
start their study of mechanics *there* and progress slowly to F=ma??? How
far back into the pre-dark-ages does one go tho start?? How much time does
one have for mythological physics?? In the college setting, there is not
enough time even for Serway as it is.

Jim.Green@Snow.edu
Heat is not energy.
Heat does not flow.
Heat is work!!!!

Like it or not, that is exactly where you _are_ starting. The only
remaining question, then, is: how do you deal with it? Preaching the
truth is ineffective, regardless of its rectitude. It is the
preaching that is flawed, not the material. As far as Serway goes, it
has way too much stuff in it anyway and I don't know anybody who
covers it all. I prefer to stick to what I regard as the core
material and this semester that means Newtonian mechanics.

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29528 variety in unity.
pjcamp@csd1.coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
pjcamp@postoffice.worldnet.att.net The Name of the Rose
(803)349-2227