Re: telling them lies

constructivism as a reason that I might teach an outdated concept before
teaching the currently accepted concept,
Leigh Palmer writes:

Commitment to a cause is admirable, and it does tell me that I won't
convert you. Notwithstanding your belief, I have successfully taught
the concept of entropy to students ready to assimilate it, and they
did not pick it up elsewhere or arrive at it by the discovery route.
Telling them first that entropy is a measure of the disorder in a
system did not make my task easier, I'm absolutely convinced, so don't
you try to convert me, either. I have a deep commitment to the idea
of empirical validation.

Well, perhaps commitment was the wrong word because I don't think of
constructivism as a cause - I meant it as a theoretical commitment, just
as I am committed to QM (tho' I understand far less about QM than I do
about constructivism). :^)

I readily believe that you have successfully taught students as you
describe. It's just that my interpretation of what happened is
different. I believe that the students had sufficient knowledge to make
sense of your instruction in the way you intended; therefore, they were
able to construct an understanding of entropy which is in agreement with
the current paradigm.

This sort of meaningful learning can clearly occur in almost any mode of
instruction: lecture (with or without demonstration), reading, so-called
"discovery" lessons, etc. What matters is that the information is
presented to students who have not only sufficient mental maturity (as
implied by your first post), but also sufficient prior knowledge to make
appropriate sense of the instruction. Otherwise, a student may look at
the same evidence which, in your mind, illustrates the concept of entropy
perfectly, and interpret it in a completely different way (equally
sensible, but not scientifically acceptable).

BTW - I suspect that what I mean by "constructivism" and what you mean by
"the discovery route" are completely different things. I don't expect my
students to discover Newton's laws, for instance, but I know that, in
order to learn those laws, the students must construct them (I can't just
open their heads and pour the knowledge in). My instructional plan is
basically to engage my students in activities which, with my
intervention, lead to the posing of significant questions about motion.
Then, when I judge that the students are knowledgable enough to make
sense of the Newtonian paradigm, I simply tell them Newton's laws and
relate the laws to the experiences which we have been trying to explain.
There's no discovery here.

In another sense, I guess commitment was the right word, because, as you
suggest, I am only slightly more likely to be converted away from
constructivism than I am to be converted away from physics. Just as I
have found physics to be a powerful explanatory mechanism for the natural
world, I find constructivism to be a powerful explanatory mechanism for
how we learn. (Of course, the empirical base for constructivism is not
as time-tested and substantial as the empirical base for physics.) You
see, I share your commitment to the idea of empirical validation.

I hope my passion on this topic is not coming across as being too
argumentative. I am thoroughly enjoying this conversation.

Regards,
Dave

David J. Hamilton, Ed.D. "And gladly wolde he lerne,
Franklin HS, Portland, OR and gladly teche."
djhamil@teleport.com Geoffrey Chaucer