Subject: Re: telling them lies
Sent: 9/7/96 9:47 AM
To: phys-l@atlantis.cc.uwf.edu

I see. Tell them a lie, then tell them you lied. Why would that be good?
I guess you could recycle books that taught the caloric model, but I can
think of no other advantage.

Piaget knew how to deal with concepts that were inately abstract. You
wait until the subject is sufficiently mature to absorb thems such.

Leigh

I take exception to this comment in two respects, both stemming from my
commitment to constructivism - the idea that students actively construct
new understandings when they learn. Firstly, the characterization that
students "absorb" concepts is dangerous. It implies that all we have to
do to teach them is to tell them the right stuff. If they are
sufficiently mature, then they will learn it.

Secondly, since the raw materials for a student's construction of new
knowledge are her old knowledge and the sense she makes of the teacher's
instruction, the advantage of teaching a caloric model of heat may be
that it is an easier construction to make. Then, having learned a
conception of heat as a fluid, she can begin to construct a more fruitful
conception including the concepts of internal energy, heating as an
energy transfer, etc. John Clements has published extensively on the
idea of using such "bridging analogies" in the teaching of physics. The
idea is that we ask too much of students when we expect them to construct
a fully accepted scientific conception from the type of knowledge they
are likely to bring with them. The leap is too large.

If you are worried about the ethics of teaching a concept that you know
to be "wrong" (no longer accepted), it is an easy matter to tell the
students up front that this is what you are doing. I find that this
approach works well with my HS students - I've an idea that college
physics students would also accept it if they were approached in the
right way. (I tell my students that we will be approaching the subject
from a historical perspective and that, in order to fully appreciate the
new concepts, they must know something about the problems that were
solved by the devlopment of the ideas.)

Dave

David J. Hamilton, Ed.D. "And gladly wolde he lerne,
Franklin HS, Portland, OR and gladly teche."
djhamil@teleport.com Geoffrey Chaucer