Subj: How they think!?!?!?!?
Date: 96-08-10 11:58:57 EDT
From: kmckain@UDEL.EDU (McKain Keith A)
To: JEI-L@UMDD.UMD.EDU (Multiple recipients of list JEI-L)

Beguiling ideas about science quoted here were gleaned from essays,
exams, and classroom discussions.

**The list comes from SAMI - an EXCELLENT! Site. Most were from 5th and
6th graders. Thought you might enjoy!
Keith

You can listen to thunder after lightning and tell how close you came to
getting hit. If you don't hear it you got hit, so never mind.

Rainbows are just to look at, not to really understand.

While the earth seems to be knowingly keeping its distance from the sun,
it is really only centrificating.

South America has cold summers and hot winters, but somehow they still
manage.

Most books now say our sun is a star. But it still knows how to change
back into a sun in the daytime.

Water freezes at 32 degrees and boils at 212 degrees. There are 180
degrees between freezing and boiling because there are 180 degrees
between north and south.

Some people can tell what time it is by looking at the sun. But I have
never been able to make out the numbers.

In looking at a drop of water under a microscope, we find there are twice
as many H's as O's.

Clouds are high flying fogs.

I am not sure how clouds get formed. But the clouds know how to do it,
and that is the important thing.

Clouds just keep circling the earth around and around. And around. There
is not much else to do.

Water vapor gets together in a cloud. When it is big enough to be called
a drop, it does.

Humidity is the experience of looking for air and finding water.

We keep track of the humidity in the air so we won't drown when we breathe.

Rain is often known as soft water, oppositely known as hail.

Rain is saved up in cloud banks.

A blizzard is when it snows sideways.

A hurricane is a breeze of a bigly size.

A monsoon is a French gentleman.

Thunder is a rich source of loudness.

Isotherms and isobars are even more important than their names sound.

It is so hot in some places that the people there have to live in other
places.

The wind is like the air, only pushier.