Re: HTML Editor

Hi Jim,
I'll try not to repeat the good advice given so far....

Is there an opinion on the list as to which HTML editor is best? I have a
free version of HoTMetaL, but I can't see that it will do WYSIWYG. I think
PageMaker will do this, but I don't want to contribute to Bill's domination
of the galaxy. How is Navigator Gold -- would require that I install WIN95
-- a frightening thought.

I use a package called HTML Assistant Pro, Freeware version: which
is more or less a text editor with shortcuts for the most often
used HTML tags. It's free, easy to use, and gives you enough
freedom to create HTML as you want it to look. In the end though
"best" is subjective, and I won't be changing to any package no
matter how good it is unless there's something I can't do in the
one I use.

Where can I go for help in understanding how to edit HTML pages???

If you search around, you should be able to find webtechs HTML
validation service, which will make sure you write good HTML,
and the webtechs page has links to as much info on HTML as you
could possibly want.

HTML *is* trivial. The surrounding fog of cgi scripts, JAVA
and even the number of file types (do you know your gif subtypes?--
me neither) and MIME types take a bit of time to get used to. That's
where the general WWW text books come in useful, if only to convince
one that life isn't long enough for clickable image maps.

Is there an opinion as to which graphics editor is best?

Paintshop Pro shareware 3.0. backed up with LView Pro for the
transparent gifs.

Cheap is good.
NATURALLY.

Good luck,