Re: Macs with PC cards

On Tue, 23 Jul 1996, James Mclean wrote:
But seriously, could you elaborate a bit? I'm a Mac user, but wouldn't
claim that Macs are better because of my complete ignorance of the PC
world. My impression has been that good software is available for both,
and what you gain with the PC is the ability to choose from a wider variety
of poor software. For example, who cares if other WWW applications don't
have Mac versions, as long as Netscape has a Mac version.

Between Macs and PCs I think "variety" is they key word. Yes, the
quality of the PC software can vary greatly, but most of it is shareware
and if you don't like it, you delete it without paying a penny. Example:
I can download 4 or 5 different telnet packages in an evening and try them
all out. I pick the one I want with the features I need.

What are some things that PC can do and Macs can't?
1) I have found that PCs are much easier to network to the rest of
the world. Macs are easy as long as you are connection them to other
Macs.
2) I have also found that Mac people always complain that they are
running out of memory when running several applications. I think the PCs
manage memory much better considering I can have 4 modem applications open
under Windows 3.11 along with my PPP software on a 386DX with 4 Meg of
RAM all sharing a 14.4 modem. From what I have been told, most macs would
need at least 16 meg to do this.

Other than that, I haven't found much difference other than personal
preference to the interface.

OH, why the hell didn't Mac ever impliment the parallel printer port?
Serial ports are so darned slow!

I have also come to the conclusion that mac people know a lot
about their software but not much about the machine and how it works. I'm
speaking from a hardware aspect. So, when it comes to a hardware problem
and they hit a snag, most yell for help. I can't help them because the
Mac won't let me configure things at that level.

I can turn a PC inside out and fix just about anything(software,
hardware or network), but I resent a machine that treats me like an idiot
and makes me a slave to the system and the manufacturer.

NOTE: NO MORE MAC VS PC WARS HERE! SEEN THAT... DONE IT! NADA!
--
James Bradford Shue jshue@comp.uark.edu
University of Arkansas Voice phone:(501) 575-6059