Re: momentum before force (was: friction)

Daniel L. MacIsaac wrote

Newton worked in dP/dt -- the change in momentum (he was too cagey to
assume constant mass like the statement F = ma is often misinterpreted).
From IMPETUS or the better-differentiated MOMENTUM that followed, he
defined force.

...by this murky writing I was trying to bring up the fact that
dP/dt = m dv/dt + v dm/dt; with which Newton was intimately aware and
which is often overlooked in our more modern treatments of F= ma in
beginning dynamics. We tend to leap at F = m dv/dt right away. . .

I have a problem with the statement F = dP/dt = m dv/dt + v dm/dt. If F,
m, and dv/dt are Galilean invarients and v is not, then this equation
cannot be correct. In fact, the rocket equation -m dv/dt = u dm/dt cannot
be derived from this statement. Note that in the rocket equation m, dv/dt
and u are Galilean invarients. For the original statement F = dP/dt = m
dv/dt + v dm/dt to be correct requires that the mass not be a scalar, as
is the case with the so called relativistic mass m/(1 - (v/c)^2)^1/2.

I realize that Dan admitted to murky writing, but it seems to me that his
following remarks failed to clear the waters.

Gene

Eugene (Gene) P. Mosca Phone 410-293-6659 (Fax 3729)
Physics Department 410-267-0144 Home
572 Holloway Road 610-683-3597 Summer
U.S.Naval Academy Mailstop 9C, Michelson Rm 339
Annapolis MD 21402 email: mosca@nadn.navy.mil