Re: momentum before force (was: friction)

Robert, Dan, James, and others,

I haven't actually taught in the sequence of 1. velocity, 2. momentum, 3.
force, but I have also carefully considered this sequence. I first
thought about it when I read Newton's Principia and realized that this is
precisely the sequence that he used to introduce his mechanics to his
readers (he assumed that his readers knew about velocity). Newton simply
defined "quantity of motion" as m*v and defined a force as something that
causes a change in quantity of motion. No justification that "quantity
of motion" shouldn't be m^2*v.

I find it interesting that contemporaries of Newton (including Christian
Huygens, Christopher Wren, and John Wallace) were investigating
conservation of motion during collisions between "hard bodies." There
was some controversy over whether the conserved quantity was m*v or
m*v^2. I don't propose that we introduce our students to THAT
controversy, but students might be interested enough in the question of
what "gets conserved" during such a collision that a course in physics
could begin with that very question.

Didn't Decartes propose conservation of quantity of motion (m*v) as a
fundamental truth in his Philosophy?

Raacc@aol.com says:
It seems to me that velocity should be introduced followed immediately by
momentum. Then acceleration and net force can be defined as the slopes of
the velocity and momentum graphs respectively.)

When you teach this sequence, how do you justify momentum before force has
been introduced? Using a qualitative idea of force?

I can maybe imagine doing this, but I can't see how to justify that
momentum is (m*v) (rather than, say, (m^2 *v)), since I don't know how to
test it. Maybe you do conservation of momentum?

--
--James McLean
jmclean@chem.ucsd.edu

David J. Hamilton, Ed.D. "And gladly wolde he lerne,
Franklin HS, Portland, OR and gladly teche."
djhamil@teleport.com Geoffrey Chaucer