Re: Problem solving or playtime? - Irrelevant Comment

Not directly on the subject!!
I think here in my department vI'm trying to _reverse_ the trend.
Students _Don't_ know how to work at an issue using theri textbook.
We call the "Plug and Chug" stuff "Monkey see, Monkey Do" (a bit hard
on the monkeys I fear)

I believe problem solving is important. In NZ it has come to have an
extra meaning - an open ended type problem almost like technology or
consumer testing.
Two examples: Make the strongest bridge using twenty straws and a
metre of sellotape.
(The last time I did this a kid said: 'I know the answer to this one,
it's triangles')
Find out which of these paper towels has the highest wet strength.

But back to the other type of problem solving.
I use a lot of problem sheets, written to go with the text, with
class notes I've given, even with artifacts lying around the lab (eg
Using a pile of resistors and a DMM or a few objects of different
density and an electronic balance - or a rope and a skateboard)

So the students are (hopefully) practicing useful things - getting
into the text book - and doing stuff actively - and sometimes having
fun.

I guess Cindy what I'd ask is what are you doing when you are you
doing "using the text" that your boss thinks you should not be doing?

And (for the sake of departmental harmony) (we live in the real
world) - there must be a middle ground to keep you and your boss
happy - and help these students learn to like Physics.
(After all - some will learn to like spinach)
(You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink)
(But you can put salt in it's oats)

Good Luck!!

I am a second year high school physics teacher and I recently had an
evaluation conversation with my boss and it was suggested that I get
away from using the textbook. There are those that feel that classtime
should be spent on more outside activities and labs and computer work.
I agree that all of these things are very important, but I also know as
an undergraduate physics major that students need to know how to solve
problems. I can take my student's high school text and my freshman
college text and the two compare very closely. Why then would I want
to spend more time away from the text? I would like to hear your input
whether you are a high school teacher or a college professor.

One "problem with problem solving" is that students often develop
strategies for getting solutions which are "correct" without understanding
anything at all about the physics.

Agreed George!!

That's why students should spend more time doing physics and less time
reading about physics.
Doing Physics?? Another whole discussion there!!

Regards Derek
Derek Chirnside, Physics Department, Shirley Boys High School.
PO Box 27 025, Christchurch 8001, New Zealand.
chirnsided@mars.shirley.school.nz