away from textbook

A sample from a reply to a coupl e of posts are shown below. With a few
comments from a University teacher, who has had no experience with high
school physics (other then being a student in the course); so high school
teachers, take what I say with a grain of salt.

I am a second year high school physics teacher and I recently had an
evaluation conversation with my boss and it was suggested that I get
away from using the textbook. There are those that feel that classtime
should be spent on more outside activities and labs and computer work.
I agree that all of these things are very important, but I also know as
an undergraduate physics major that students need to know how to solve
problems. I can take my student's high school text and my freshman
college text and the two compare very closely. Why then would I want
to spend more time away from the text? I would like to hear your input
whether you are a high school teacher or a college professor.

From my perspective, both as a college teacher and citizen, I don't want my
students high school experience with physics to simply be a mini-college
course. In other words, I don't think the approach should be "this is what
they do in the college course, therefore, I should be doing the same thing,
watered down or slightly less mathematical or whatever, that they are doing
in my high school class". Having your kids for five days a week for a whole
year allows you to do things we in the colleges can't. In particular, a lot
more of the hands on type of activities. Modern kids don't get a lot of
experience with doing "physics type stuff" on their on (the video
generation) and getting some of that in the high school course (or even
earlier physical science courses) is good.

On the other hand, don't abandon problem solving; I think that paricularly
for the high school senior physics course, that its important to emphasize
the developement of problem solving skills using mathematics; both for the
intellectual developement it gives and as an example of applied math; "here
is what your algebra courses (and calculus if your kids all are having it)
are good for". I think I would try to empasize these two areas about
equally.

One "problem with problem solving" is that students often develop
strategies for getting solutions which are "correct" without understanding

anything at all about the physics.

I always wonder about the above comment, which is often repeated in places.
There is some truth in it; but I often find myself feeling that I'd be
happy if I could get 80% of my class to do the problems correctly, even
without the deep understanding that seems to be referred to. I'm of the
opinion that well written problems can both test understanding and problem
solving ability and I've got the tests that show it; meaning I can see an
awfully lot of students whose strategies don't work on test problems,
because they didn't develope the understanding.

Thanks for allowing me to inflict my opinions on the group. The clash of
opinions and discussions are enjoyable and enlightening.

Joel Rauber
rauberj@mg.sdstate.edu

PS in reference to another post, not all "young Turks" are
non-traditionlists. Actually I would like to hear some opinions on the
comments of "coverage" versus other ideas for the intro class; presumably
the "less is more" approaches. I debate with myself this issue at least
several times a day, and suspect I'll never resolve the issue for myself.