Re: [Phys-L] Quoting Posters

Use an email program that can do that either by default or by choosing the correct setting or add-on for the program.

Which brings me to the million-dollar question, especially for people using Macs running Yosemite:

WHAT EMAIL CLIENT DO YOU RECOMMEND?

I had to upgrade to Yosemite this year. Our IT dept refused to let me keep running Mountain Lion any longer. But that meant that I had to finally give up Eudora, in my opinion the greatest email client ever written.

I have examined ALL other Mac email clients. None of them are as good as Eudora. I am currently using Apple Mail but it’s missing many features I loved in Eudora. Here’s my wishlist:

* One click on an email address to create an email alias for it. I hate the fact that Apple Mail uses “Contacts” to store that info. I want a dedicated Directory built directly into the email client which is *optimized* for email and not for collecting general directory info on a person.

* Further, I want the directory to be able to expand nested email addresses. What I mean is: Suppose I have one alias called “Civilian Faculty” and another called “Military Faculty” each of which is a list of email addresses that I keep updated. I want to be able to create another alias called “Faculty” which has the other two aliases in them, such that if I make any alteration in “Civilian Faculty” and send an email to “Faculty” it automatically sends to the updated people. (As far as I know, NO current Mac email client is able to do that.)

* I really want to be able to edit archived emails. Anything in them: contents, subject line, whatever. I use my archives to dig up info. But I often make mistakes. So I want to correct the archives, so that when I search (and by the way, I want the email client to have sophisticated and rapid searching of archives, across all of my multiple email addresses) I find the corrected info. (Yes, historians are probably accusing me of changing gov’t records. But I’m a user not a historian.)

* I want to be able to highlight any portion of an email and click on a single button to print just that portion, and optionally some headers to identify the source of the email.

* I want the email client to have custom options that do nothing but prettify things: change the background color from white, alter what gets put in the “To” line if all recipients are on the “Bcc” line, alter the “From” line as I may wish to do, alter the reply and forward options (put or not put “>” or any other symbol before any lines I choose ON THE FLY; put the old message either before, mixed among, or after my message; etc).

Eudora could do ALL of these things and many other useful things. Can ANY current email client?