[Phys-L] Quoting Posters

How do you place the ">" symbol before each line of someone's post in order to quote them and get all the ">'s" to lineup? I have been doing this individual line by individual line. Although all the ">'s" lineup at the left margin on my email program (Outlook 2010) before I send the message out, they usually don't all lineup on the copy of my message that I receive from Phys_L with some appearing in the middle of a line. For example, if you were quoting me in this message, how do you get all the ">'s" to lineup at the left margin with the above lines and the added items:

1
2
3

Don