Re: [Phys-L] Trinity Pendulum Q (was Re: checking the work for minus signs ... et cetera)

Thank you for responding, Hugh. Your working clarified that the cause of Bernard's rather high value for the Q of the Trinity Pendulum was his use of the escapement energy contribution at each cycle as about 0.0029 j in lieu of the 0.0038 j which would be needed to maintain a Q value as low (!!) as your free decay Q value. This escapement energy contribution value was evidently derived from a Trinity Clock site mention of the Denison gravity arms weighing 50 grams each and descending 3 mm.
Your note was also a useful reminder of Denison's use of an air-brake ('fly') with a lossy friction clutch to cope with the varying clock drive needed during the year while maintaining a sensibly constant impulse to the pendulum, and as important, eliminating the escapement skip not uncommon in tower clocks prior to 1860.
Thanks again
Brian Whatcott