Re: [Phys-L] backwards units

I was playing off of John Denker's tongue-in-cheek statement:
-> 68.3 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.
-> Except on CNN, where it's 88.5 percent of the statistics.

BUT...in my years of teaching, most of the wrong answers stem from poor control of negative signs (including while managing vector quantities, neglecting to specify positive directions, along with poor algebra, trig, and calculus manipulations, which require close attention to detail), and incorrect unit manipulation.

When I find someone who is a beginning teacher of algebra in HS/MS/JHS I tell them "It's a minus sign." I then explain they should teach their students to examine their own work for sign errors when they can't get a problem correct. After a semester, the teacher will tell me I gave them good advice.

When I have students work problems in physics class and they get the problem incorrect (the ones who actually get a final answer), the error is most often due to an algebraic or assigned direction minus sign error or they forgot to convert units. I force them to find their mistake. Those who never get an answer are usually the ones who never ask a question, and that frustrates me greatly because it's obvious that they are the ones who don't understand problem solving. Reminds me of something like leading a horse to water ....

So, the source is my own experience.