From: Phys-l [mailto:phys-l-bounces@www.phys-l.org] On Behalf Of Daniel V.
Schroeder
Sent: Wednesday, December 16, 2015 11:09 PM
To: phys-l@phys-l.org
Subject: [Phys-L] textbook prices

I recently wrote a blog article about physics textbook prices that may be of
interest to some on this list:

http://dvschroeder.blogspot.com/2015/12/textbook-price-pandemonium.html

The article includes a link to a Google spreadsheet listing 135 books, from
sophomore to first-year graduate level, and their current prices.

I'm astounded that Cengage now charges $400 each for some books. On the
other hand, a small but growing number of high-quality books are being
self-published at very affordable prices.

Comments are welcome here or on the blog. I would be especially interested
to learn of other examples of self-published books that are being used as
texts outside the authors' institutions.

Dan Schroeder
Weber State University