Re: [Phys-L] textbook prices

I'm a strong proponent of self-publishing and have two books (see end
of post). In promoting self-publishing and my resources, I heard
several horror stories. Most follow the same theme:
* Publisher promises author the world.
* Author signs.
* Publisher abuses author to get work in by arbitrarily short
deadline.
* Book delayed by at least one academic year because of in-house
glitches.
* Publisher sell's it at a few institutions.
* Publisher tells author, "It's not selling. We're canceling it. Oh,
and btw, you can't use it because we now own the copyright on it."
Simply, the publisher's primary goal from the first instant was
actually to suppress competition. Academics are not business savvy and
all-too-easily give away our intellectual property.

And then there is Eric Weisstein's horror with CRC Press.
https://www.pmmh.espci.fr/~laurette/scipub/erics_commentary.html

Regarding my books, I actually had to start a publishing company in
order to sell my books to university bookstores! I also had to get
creative in promoting my resources ... like this message!!
My website is www.RoguePublishing.ca
Publications:
* Exploring Chemistry, a draft general chemistry textbook that is
FREE for personal use.
* Communicating Science, is an *introductory* communication guide
that provides students with a foundation for writing, reviewing, and
presenting technical information.

The next edition of Communicating Science will have substantial
sections on Learning (expanded Chapter 3) and Research methods
(expanded Chapter 4). These are available in draft, if anyone is
interested in reviewing them:
www.RoguePublishing.ca/ComSci-3.pdf
www.RoguePublishing.ca/ComSci-4.pdf

Enjoy!